Thursday, September 4, 2014

Arcus 98DA Review: Good quality budget pistol

Those looking for a low-priced full-size pistol (<$450) will be hard pressed to find one that is not made from low-quality parts with high tolerances by some sketchy gun company. However, there are always a few options that are very good quality and surprisingly cheap. The Arcus 98DA, chambered in 9x19mm, is one of those.

I acquired a brand new 98DA for the price of only $320 online. Arcus is a fairly unknown Bulgarian company, but they have produced weapons for the Bulgarian military for years. In fact, the 98DA is currently the official sidearm of the Bulgarian and Iraqi armies.

An initial glance at the 98DA will reveal its close similarity to the Browning Hi-Power. Indeed, this pistol is a Hi-Power clone with a few key differences. The first is that this is a double action pistol, hence DA in the designation. Secondly, the magwell is extended to hold a 15-round mag, the grips are different, and this gun features an obvious dovetail below the hammer. Arcus began this series of Hi-Power clones with the Arcus 94, which was a single action full-size pistol. The 98DA and 98DAC (C standing for compact) followed. Overall, the gun feels very solid and well constructed. The slide and frame are CNC machined from steel forgings. It comes shipped coated with a thick grease to protect against moisture, which needs to be removed before shooting. To keep costs down, the gun comes in a cardboard box instead of a dedicated plastic case. It comes with two 15-round magazines, and what appears to be a cleaning rod as far as I can tell.

The pistol features a thumb safety, which can only be engaged with the hammer at half or full cock, and also blocks the firing pin and slide. The pistol has no decocker, so care must be taken when releasing the hammer. Disassembling the 98DA is quite easy, and is basically the same as the disassembly of a Hi-Power. The innards of the gun are not polished, but I couldn't care less about that for $320 if it functions well.

On the range, the gun proved to be fairly accurate, with 2-6" groupings at 25 yards. The double action trigger pull of 13 lbs is ridiculous, but I can't see any situation when I would be firing it in double action, and the 6 lb SA trigger is very manageable, if somewhat gritty. The pistol is equipped with standard 3-dot sights. The rear sight is adjustable for windage, but not for elevation. The gun is sighted in at the factory for a distance of 25 meters. I have only had 1 failure-to-eject out of several hundred rounds I've fired, and that was using shitty Tula Walmart ammo, so I don't attribute that failure to the gun.

Overall, if you are looking for a steel-frame budget pistol that still functions well, the Arcus 98DA is probably one of the best options for the price. It's a sturdy, no-frills weapon built for utility, and it excels in this role.

5 comments:

  1. I think you need to amend your review. IIRC, the safety can be applied with the hammer at either half or full cock, but not with the hammer down. Don't have my Arcus with me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting me know, I changed the review. When I said that the safety can only be applied with the hammer down, I meant "down" as in cocked (hammer pressed down). It was a bad way to word it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it confused me, anyway. Of course, some people will tell you that's not hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed a problem with my Arcus 98DA. When it's dirty, after about a hundred rounds of WWB or Monarch, the firing pin can stick in the forward position if the pistol is dry fired. Have you ever seen this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. glock sight reviews

    ReplyDelete